Look, to be honest, it hasn’t gone exactly as planned.
But hey! I am willing to amend the initial #30daystoabetterme into a more successful working unit.
So I think I am at Day 27 and have identified some issues with my current (and let’s be honest – trial run) #30days plan:
a) I keep forgetting what day I am on
b) Details of what I should/should not do have been slightly sketchy and so I have been managing (read, changing) ‘rules’ somewhat flippantly
c) I have had migraines for basically the last 15 or so days. This has been difficult.
d) Said migraines were probably due to the PT training I allowed some students to push me through, and consequently threw my neck out. Not their fault at all, I have always known: Exercise=Migraines.
Anyway, that said – I feel like there have been MASSIVE gains from this trial-run of a health and well-being kick:
- I have decreased my alcohol intake EASILY by about 75%. (not joking, I was basically an alcoholic. Still probably am, but have worked hard to lessen my dependency on drinking as reward.)
- I have been seriously eating healthier. (Granted, the smoothies and fruit filled days have fallen away throughout the month but I can blame the migraines for a lack of organisation and at least I can say that I have gone to the school canteen once – as opposed to once or twice a week for some fried snack to get me through Period 5&6.)
- I have been CONSCIOUSLY MINDFUL, MOST OF THE TIME, of being positive, brave, helpful and healthful. All you need to know is that my colleague noted “I haven’t heard you complain about Teary Tuesdays for ages!”
- I have FELT GOOD. (besides the migraines, obviously.)
- OOH! Two more things – once again, whilst this fell away towards the end, I have DRASTICALLY DECREASED my coffee and sugar intake. I used to have 2 coffees a day (with 2 heaps of coffee and 1 of sugar) and maybe a Tea with 1 spoon of sugar. I have had some coffee over the last week, but with 1 heap of coffee and LIKE THE END OF THE SPOON of sugar. When I have tea at home I have been having a slice of lemon in there, no sugar, and at work I have been having half of a Stevia packet.
I have become a little bit overexcited about the prospect of further #30daystoabetterme program. I REALLY like the idea of putting my energy into a certain aspect of my life for a full month. There are so many things to focus on!
My ideas so far are:
Having a CAR-FREE (as much as possible) month. Embracing public transport, and my bike.
Having a month focusing on things I love but never give time to, e.g. music, reading.
Working hard on my charity. This is something my life just does not allow me time for and is probably one of the biggest burdens on my soul because I want it to be so much more than it is. (friendsofvinaus.com) 🙂
Ok – the big one: A PLASTIC FREE MONTH. (oh no you didn’t!!??) Oh yes I did. A grand plan for some time. This needs actual planning, prep, and the hubby needs to be briefed and on board. But I’m keen!
I could go on forever – a month without Social Media, a month focussing on friends and family, a month of volunteering, a month of ACTUAL EXERCISE, a month of being creative, a month of studying, a month of learning a language, a month of writing my novella, a month of poetry…
Cheers for the read. 🙂 ❤